I'm interested in empowering fellow developers to build reliability, high quality software, at scale.
I have academic experience in signal processing, music information retrieval, and the Web Audio API. I have industrial experience with software development, developer advocacy, and web development.
I'm also interested in Developer Advocacy, particularly if your developer platform enables developers to do good.
I've been working in tech for over ten years, and have got a lot done. Here are some highlights.
Senior Developer & Developer Advocate at Spotify (2016-2021)
- At Spotify I worked as a senior developer on an internal developer productivity platform for web developers working on artists.spotify.com.
- As part of several teams at Spotify, I have led the design and development of several projects as a Technical Owner, a role that exists at Spotify as an additional set of accountabilities for senior engineers. This has required a deep understanding of the business and product domain, the broad knowledge across multiple disciplines required to design long lasting robust systems, the ability to empower my team to execute quickly, and solid communication skills. I've also been involved in many departmental and cross-departmental technical groups as a representative of the web discipline, where I worked on projects to address technical quality, reliability, and productivity at scale.
- For a large chunk of my time at Spotify, I worked as a developer advocate. I architected a new developer.spotify.com, represented the company at developer events including hackathons and talks, participated in the planning of our developer relations strategy, developed interviews and job descriptions for new developer advocates, and worked directly with commercial partners to ensure smooth integration of our technology into their product.
Software Developer at Soundwave (2014-2015)
- Worked with backend technologies including Java 8, Jersey 2, Mockito, Powermock, and MongoDB to implement the backend that powered Soundwave's consumer facing app.
- Operated as an internal "special projects" developer, on projects including redesigns of various websites, developing proofs of concept of new features, and a prototype public API for use at Music Hack Day Cannes. I also got to work on HTML5 game development, data science using Tableau, and Amazon RedShift, automated social media engagements, and extensive manual iOS and Android app testing.
- After completing an internship in the summer of 2014, I was invited to return to Soundwave as a junior developer upon completion of my degree. Soundwave was acquired by Spotify in January of 2016, and we relocated to Stockholm.
- I worked as a web developer at Playlist.com, involved in building an ad-supported internet radio website based on the Echo Next music radio API. I worked across the stack, using Angular JS 1.0 and Node.JS to serve a UI, and integrate with 3rd party APIs including The Echo Nest and Medianet.
Freelance Web Developer (2011-2016)
- oilandgasawards.com - Custom Wordpress Theme and Plugins
- wiredradio.co.uk - Custom theme for Ghost, a Node CMS
- Mackenzie's Café & Deli (Muscat, Oman) - Bespoke Web-Based Product Management System
- Indee Softworks - Various custom web applications
Website and IT Administrator for Bluestack Energy (Spring 2011 - 2013)
- bluestackenergy.ie - Custom Wordpress Theme and Plugins
I was fortunate enough as an undergraduate to publish an acadmic paper co-authored with two of my colleagues.
- Rawlinson, H, Segal, N & Fiala, J, 2015, "Meyda: an audio feature extraction library for the web audio API", Proceedings of the first annual Web Audio Conference.
Co-founder and President of Hacksmiths, Goldsmiths University of London's Hacking Society (2014 - 2015)
Responsible for organising and arranging sponsorship for activities including:
- Anvil Hack - a student hackathon held at Goldsmiths in March 2015
- A series of weekly talks from industry thought leaders and top academics, including representatives from:
- Fun & Plausible Solutions
- And many others.
Co-organiser for Music Hack Day London 2014
Responsible for organising and arranging sponsorship for an 80 attendee music themed hackathon in London, December 2014
Open SourceDetails of my open source contributions can be found at my GitHub page.
Goldsmiths, University of London
London, United Kingdom (2012 - 2015)
BSc/BMus, Music Computing
- Advanced Audiovisual Processing
- Physical Computing
- Neural Networks
- Language Design & Implementation
- Perception & Multimedia Computing
- Music Computing 1 + 2
- Live Performance Systems
- Creative Computing Practice
- Analytical and Contextual Studies
- Approaches to Contemporary Music
- Sonic Art Practice
London South Bank University
London, United Kingdom (2011 - 2012)
BA Music & Sonic Media
Studied for a year, before transferring to Goldsmiths.
I like to keep my skills up, so in addition to reading blogs, newsletters, and books regularly, I've been taking courses.
- React Hooks with Ryan Florence
- Functional Programming in Haskell at The University of Glasgow via FutureLearn
- Physics-Based Sound Synthesis for Games and Interactive Systems by Perry Cook via Kadenze
- Complete C# Unity Game Developer 3D
- ExecuteProgram Typescript
- Mob Programming with Woody Zuill, at Spotify in 2018
- Spotify Data University
- Spotify Code Retreat 2019